- The project will cover multidisciplinary standards and subjects (Writer's Workshop, literature study, technology instruction).
- Teachers will expand their use of technology in the classroom (use of scanner, digital camera, photo and video editing software, and Kid Pix Deluxe 3).
- Students will work collaboratively with a buddy on a project.
- Collaboratively with a buddy, students will be able to determine a story’s characters and setting, and be able to retell a story’s beginning, middle and end.
- Using Kid Pix Deluxe 3, Kindergarten students will be able to successfully use different tools (pencil, paint bucket, stickers, stamps, and backgrounds) to create picture slides for the retelling section of the project.
- Kindergarten students will be able to orally present their final product to an audience (including an Author’s Night).
- Retelling favorite stories helps us comprehend what we read, as well as determine and sequence important events.
- Author studies foster a love of literature and an appreciation of children’s authors.
- Collaborative projects help students develop the important life skill of working with others.
- Project-based learning encourages students to be organized, problem solve, follow a multi-step plan, and see a project through to completion.
- The opportunity to speak to varied audiences encourages students to communicate confidently and effectively.
This project offers the students an opportunity to dive into literature in hope of fostering a life-long love of literature and appreciation of children's authors. Students are introduced to many key components of literature (setting, characters, and sequencing) that will be further developed in later grades. This project based learning activity will offer the students a unique opportunity to collaboratively work with an older student which will in turn increase the Kindergartner's personal connection to the school community.